Subscribe to our mailinglist
Orbis et Globus (Circle and Sphere) in Grímsey Island is an artwork that was placed on the Arctic Circle in 2017. It is a 3m diameter globe that will follow the fluctuating North-South part of the Arctic Circle until it leaves the island.
An English travel agency is now offering direct flights to Akureyri to discover Iceland's Arctic North. Return flights from eleven regional airports in the UK. 3 or 4 nights' hotel stay with transfers and two amazing excursions included. It's surely worth the while to check out the prices.
- Akureyri Art Museum: Exhibition Louisa Matthíasdóttir - kl. 15:00
- Glerárkirkja: Christmas concert with Glerárkirkja choir - kl. 16:00
- Choir Hymnodia sings old Christmas hymns at Laxdalshús - kl. 17:00
- Skautahöllin (Ice skating hall): Figure skating Christmas show - Dreams come true - kl. 17:00
- Hof Cultural Center: "Heima um jólin" Christmas concert with local musicians - kl. 19:00
- Akureyri Swimming Pool open
- Hof Cultural Center: Art exhibition "Endurtekningar" by Helga Sigríður
- Municipal Library: Christmas exhibition "Jólin koma"
- Into the Arctic - Exhibition open - kl. 10:00
This small and intimate music venue is famous all over Iceland and thought to be one of the best in the country. Icelandic musicians think highly of the place and frequently want to play here. A good concert at The Green Hat is an experience music lovers will not easily forget.
Visitors coming to Akureyri during Christmas and New Year can enjoy the cultural festive celebrations of the holidays along with colourful Christmas lights & decorations. New Year´s Eve is greatly celebrated in Iceland and you can attend an enormous town bonfire and watch a fantastic firework display that lights up the night sky above the town.