Subscribe to our mailinglist
Earthquakes and seismic activity is ongoing in the highlands by Vatnajökull glacier in Northeast Iceland. You can follow news in English on The Icelandic National Broadcasting Service's web page. Akureyri is in a safe distance from the current activity area. You can book sightseeing flights from Akureyri with Saga Travel.
Akureyri and surroundings (Northern Iceland) were among 10 destinations recommended by travel guide Lonley Planet: “…don’t ignore Iceland’s second city Akureyri and the wild charms of Northern Iceland, all easily accessed by a short connecting flight from Reykjavik.” You can read the whole article HERE.
- Concert with the band R÷kkurrˇ at GrŠni hatturinn
- Akureyri Art Museum, Ketilh˙s: Retrospective
- Akureyri Art Museum: With the Back to the Future
- Coffee and refreshments aboard H˙ni II
- Exhibition EF ╔G VĂRI FUGL SEM HEITIR S┌RMJËLK in Flˇra
- HlÝarfjall ski resort open
- Motorcycle Museum open
- Museum of Akureyri is open
- Sandkorn Ý fj÷ru - Photo Exhibition at the Municipal Library
The Northern Lights are one of the most spectacular shows on earth and can frequently be seen in Akureyri and surroundings from September through April on clear and crisp nights. Northern Lights are created by electrically charged particles that make the thin air shine, not unlike a fluorescent light.
Eyjafjördur Fjord is one of the best places in Iceland for cross-country and downhill skiing. Akureyri's ski slopes, which are on mountain Hlíðarfjall, 5 km above the town, are in many ways unique. Their elevation ranges from 500 m to 1000 m above sea level, and there is therefore plenty of snow during the winter. More information HERE.