Subscribe to our mailinglist
Orbis et Globus (Circle and Sphere) in Grímsey Island is an artwork that was placed on the Arctic Circle in 2017. It is a 3m diameter globe that will follow the fluctuating North-South part of the Arctic Circle until it leaves the island.
THE ARCTIC COAST WAY
The Arctic Coast Way is Iceland’s first-ever tourist route. It is 900 km long and takes in 21 villages and 18 municipalities – stretching along the coast and around the peninsulas of North Iceland. The route was selected one of Lonely Planet's top 10 European destinations for 2019.
- Akureyri Art Museum: TALK TO ME! - kl. 10:00
- Akureyri Museum open - kl. 10:00
- Into the Arctic - Exhibition open - kl. 10:00
- Art exhbition by Jón Laxdal at Brúnir Horse Gallery - kl. 14:00
- Art exhibition "How's it going? After Godard" at Verksmiðjan Hjalteyri - kl. 14:00
- Nökkvi's Sailing evening - kl. 18:00
- Vintage cars on display by Hof Cultural Center - kl. 20:00
- From Co-op Street to Art Street at Akureyri Art Museum
- Ideas by Hjördís Frímann & Magnús Helgason at Akureyri Art Museum
Midsummer Night is celebrated on the 22nd to the 23rd of June. In Iceland this day is called Jónsmessa named after John the Baptist. According Icelandic folklore many strange things happens during Midsummer Night e.g. the cows gain the power to speech and seals can become human.