Subscribe to our mailinglist to get news and updates about events in Akureyri
The Northern Lights are one of the most spectacular shows on earth and can frequently be seen on clear and crisp nights in Akureyri and surroundings from September through April. Several travel agencies and tour operators offer special Northern Lights trips. For more information please click HERE.
Akureyri and surroundings (Northern Iceland) were among 10 destinations recommended by travel guide Lonley Planet earlier this year: “…don’t ignore Iceland’s second city Akureyri and the wild charms of Northern Iceland, all easily accessed by a short connecting flight from Reykjavik.” You can read the whole article HERE.
- Christmas concert at the Church of Akureyri with Geysir men┤s choir and girl┤s choir of the church
- Pop concert with bands Prins Pˇlˇ and Heflarnir at Hof
- "82 Yule lads and old Christmas trees" Exhibition at the Museum of Akureyri
- "Moments in December" in Hof Culture House
- Christmas Market
- Exhibition "BlasÝur" in Flˇra
- Exhibition of paintings in Gallery LAK
- Christmas concert with the band Baggal˙tur at Hof Culture House
- Dance show "Dansau fyrir mig" at Rřmi
Every weekend The Green Hat (Græni hatturinn) in the town's center is filled with live music. Some of Iceland's most famous artists and bands play there every now and then. This live music club offers a unique atmosphere and is renowned throughout Iceland for magical concerts and good entertainment. The Green Hat is on Facebook. Search for "Græni hatturinn" group.
The town of Akureyri is beautiful and peaceful as ever during Christmas and the New Year, shining with charming lights in the dark Arctic winter. This is the time locals want to enjoy at home with their families and therefore most businesses are closed a few days during the holidays. HERE you will find useful information on opening hours during Christmas and the New Year.